HOME

 

 Irish Tracey Arms

 

 

image001

 

There has been some difficulty in establishing the coat of arms for the Irish Tracys.

 

Traditionally, the same coat of arms has been used for the Traceys (of Galway) and the O'Maddens. Both the Traceys and the O'Maddens belonged to the same tribe, the Sil Anmchadha of Uí Maine i.e. east Connacht.

 

The illustrations on the right, from Irish Heraldry (1930) and the Irish Times (1955), are usually the ones that were used commercially.

 

 

 

 

 

 

arms.jpg

Irish Heraldry. Murphy & McCarthy, NY, 1930.

 

Nov 12, 1955 Irish Times

 

 

In the Genealogy Office, there is manuscript, GO Ms 159, which the gives the genealogy of Walter Tracy, who most likely belonged to the Sil Anmchadha.

 

1000 to 1625 AD O'Tracy Genealogy (Irish Genealogy Office Ms 159)

 

It would appear to be a rough copy of the item described in an 1837 catalogue of manuscripts, described opposite. I would be most grateful for any information regarding this manuscript.

 

 

 

 

 

Ref: A second catalogue of manuscripts, in different languages...John Cochran No. 108, Strand (Savoy Steps) London...MDCCCXXXVII [1837]

 

 

 

 

In O'Donovan's “The Tribes and Customs of Hy-Many”, the following is attributed to Sir Frederick Madden in 1843:

 

"Your inquiry respecting the arms of the ancient sept of O'Madden, or Madden, of Galway, I wish I could answer satisfactorily, but I have never any authorities earlier than the time of Elizabeth. These give the coat thus: Sable, a falcon Volant seizing a mallard argent. – See MSS. Harl. 5866 (written by Daniel Molyneux, Ulster King of Arms, about 1584), 6096 and 2120 (written by Thomas Chaloner, Ulster, in 1590). The coat is blazoned in the same manner in a pedigree of Tracy, written on vellum and attested by William Hawkins, Ulster, in 1709, on occasion of the marriage of Gratia, daughter of Morgan O'Madden, to Hugh Tracy. But in a collection of the arms and pedigrees of Irish families, by James Terry, Athlone Herald, about 1712, in MS. Harl. 4039, I find the coat thus:- Sable, a falcon with wings expanded, seizing a mallard argent; on a chief or, a cross botonny, gules. Crest:- On a wreath of the colours, a falcon rising, argent, holding in its beak a cross botonny gules. Motto:- Fide et Fortitudine."

 

In GO Ms 159, the following is stated “Hugo (Tracy) Gratia Filia magane O Madden”. The marriage may have taken place circa 1500.

 

Harl Ms 5866 (National Library p. 1426), Harl Ms 6096 (National Library p. 1427) of 1603 and Harl Ms 2120 (National Library p.1417) of circa 1590 gives the name as ‘Madam’, ‘Madame’ and ‘Madane’. In Harl Ms 4039 (National Library p.1423) Arms of Irish Families from the 17th Century, the coat is given for O’Madden, with the motto ‘Fide et Fortitudine’. In the Betham transcript (circa 1810) of Linea Antiqua of 1709, the coat of arms is stated for O'Madden of Sil Anmchadha of Uí Maine.

 

In Add Ms 26,685 Irish arms 16th century, on page 70, the coat is given for the name ‘Goodmyre’ while on page 91, a similar coat of the two birds but over hills is given for ‘Maddan’ on page 91. In TCD Ms 1217, Danial Molyneux of 1622, a version of the coat is given for Robert Maddan, and another version in 1646 is given for John Maddan and his wife.

 

In a handwritten book by Aaron Crossly “A collection of arms…” (circa 1720) in the Dublin Library, I have found the following entries on pages 244 and 247:

 

Trye or \ g
Tracy (or maybe Traty) or 2 \ g
Tracy (or maybe Traty) alt or arm os lab d o5 po~

 

image003

 

 

Tracy ar on a ^ fa -3 flur Ioluros or

 

image006

 

In Ms Add 4815, in another book by Crossly ‘Arms of Ireland’ (1723), there is the following entry:

 

Tracy or 2 \\ g

 

He also includes the coat and arms for Viscount Tracy of Rathcoole.

 

It may be possible that arms may be found in the tokens used for the ‘signature’ of medieval documents.

 

The following is a description of a token, given by the Crown in Ireland, and were used as a royal license to do business. If you were a trades or business merchant you had to obtain this token. Some had dates on them and many did not. By 1680 the tokens were replaced by a Crown halfpenny copper coin. The following is a Galway issue to James Tressy, merchant of Tuam in 1670. This may be similar to the Crossly “Tracy ar on a ^ fa -3 flur Ioluros or” stated above.

 

2012.55.8.jpg

 

 

 

 

image009

Boyne William & Williamson, George Charles (1889) Trade Tokens Issued in the Seventeenth Century in England, Wales, and Ireland: By Corporations.

 

 

 

Thanks to Mark Lodwick, National Museum of Wales

 

 

 

 

Macalister, R.A.S. A Catalogue of the Irish Traders' Tokens in the Collection of the Royal Irish Academy. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Section C: Archaeology, Celtic Studies, History, Linguistics, Literature, Vol. 40 (1931/1932), pp. 19-185

Smith, Aquilla. Appendix No. IV: Catalogue of Tradesmen's Tokens. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy (1836-1869), Vol. 4 (1847 - 1850), pp. xxvii-liv

 

The shamrock is a representation of a trefoil and is used by the Lynches of Galway and Loftus of Loftus Hall Wexford. Another possible representation of the trefoil is the “celtic knot”. The third example is a fleur-de-lis, which has been supplied by Eddie Geoghegan, http://www.araltas.com and http://www.ireland101.com/quiz/viewtribe.php?t=tracey&x=33&y=16. He thinks that these arms belong to a Limerick family. It would appear to be a graphical representation of one of the Crossly arms, described above. The motto he gives for Treacy is Fortior qui se vincit (He is stronger who conquers himself) http://www.ireland101.com/quiz/viewtribe.php?t=treacy&x=0&y=0.

 

 

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZsOeQnMgxaGNvwovylyyGEG7wDxVpTzIp9Pr6mFgpFCCVho0Y4A

Loftus

aaron arms.jpg

 

 

Another possible source of information may be bookplates. The following is the bookplate of Nathaniel Tracey, which seems to comply with the following description:

 

291. Tracey. Arms, cap with crest, blank motto-ribbon.

Chippendale style. Below: Nathaniel Tracey — \ N. H scp. \

A. 863. Name spelled Tracy. Graver-work.

A Descriptive Catalogue of an Exhibition of Early Engraving in America December 12, 1904 — February 5, 1905. Cambridge, 1904.

 

 

A version of this bookplate with the spelling of ‘Tracy’ is available in the Winterthur Digital Collection.

 

The most likely candidate is Nathaniel Tracy (1751-1796) of Newburyport, MA. He was a graduate of Harvard 1769, Yale and received an honorary degree from the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University.  He was the first treasurer of Dummer Academy  and a charter member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. N. H. Scp. Refers to Nathaniel Hurd, Boston, 1729-1777.

 

His family originally came from near Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, Ireland however the arms displayed are those of the Norman/English family, Viscount and Baron Tracy of Rathcoole and Baronet of the county of Limerick. I presume that Nathaniel Tracey used the 'Norman' arms, as they belong to a family of the nobility of Ireland.

 

 

Traceys of Enniscorthy Wexford and Newburyport Mass

 

 

 

 

 

Tracy

 

 

 

Crests taken from John Rooney’s “A genealogical history of Irish families with their crests and armorial bearings” of 1896. with the following motto “Pro Virtute et Fidelitate”, as described in Michael O’Laughlin book “The Irish Book of Arms”. In addition, O’Laughlin states that Rooney’s work is not always considered to be accurate.

 

image007

 

 

Madden

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was sent this picture of arms by Kevin Tracy, which he found in his grandfather’s home. This would appear to be based on Rooney.

 

 

Of course you can always draw up your own family arms. The following was conceived, designed, and created by Erma Jean Tracy in respect of the late Thomas J. Tracy Sr. whose family originally came from Carlow.

 

image014

 

  • Rising Sun - Mom and Dad were married in the morning and the sun rose everyday of their marriage and continues to bring light to our lives
  • Helmet - represents knighthood
  • Flowing wings - from Kahil Gibran-all her children will have wings to fly their own journey
  • Herald colors - royalty and dignity
  • Shamrock - represents Dad’s Irish heritage
  • Scottish Lion - represents Mom’s heritage
  • Sword - Mary Queen of Scotts
  • Greek Crown - Mercury flying with duck wings to honor my parents love for hunting and shooting
  • Celtic Cross - unites the Irish and Scottish in their marriage union and is a symbol of family
  • Latin saying - No One Can Separate

 

http://www.tomtracy.org/index.html

 

 

 

 

 Other Tracey Arms

 

 

 

Tracy (Bamstaple, со. Devon). Or, a lion pass. sa. betw. two bends gemelles gu.

Tracy (Barnstaple, со. Devon, and Stanway, со. Gloucester). Or, betw. two bendlets gu. an escallop, in the dexter chief point, sa. Crest—On a chapeau gu. turned up. erm. an escallop sa. betw. two wings expanded, or.

Tracy (Cornwall). Or, a lion in bend, betw. two cotises, sa.

Tracy (Newington, Kent). Urgent, two bends, between nine escallops, gules,

Tracy (Worcester). Or, two bends gu.

Tracy. Or, three escallop» sa. betw. two bends gu. Crest— On a chapeau gu. turned up егш. un escallop va. betw. two wings or.

Tracy. Or, two bonds gu.; a label of five points az.

Tracy. Or, two bends gu. ; on a canton ar. five escallops ea.

Tracy. Or, a lion pass. sa. betw. two cotises gu.

Tracy. Ar. on a chev. sa. three fleurs-de-lis or.

Tracy. Or, a lion salient in bend, ea. betw. two cotises gu.

Tracy. Ar. on a chief sa. two fleurs-de-lis or.

Tracy, or Tresse. Or, two bendlets betw. nine escallops, gu. three, three, and three.

Tracy-Hanbury (Baron Sudeley). Quarterly, first and fourth, or, an escallop in the chief point sa. betw. two bendlets gu. for Tracy ; second and third, or, a bend engr. vert, plain cotised sa. for HanBury. Crests—Ou a chapeau, turned np erm. an escallop aa. betw. two wings or, for Tracy ; out of a mural crown sa. a demi lion ramp, or, holding in the pawn A battle-axe sa. helved gold, for Hanbury. Supporters—Two falcons, wings elevated ppr. beaked and belled or. Motto—Memoria pii aeterna.

Tresse, alias Tracy (Newington, Malling and Hoo, co. Kent). Ar. two bendets betw. nine escallops gu. Crest - An eagle's head couped, erm. ducally crowned and beaked or, betw. two wings erect, ermines.

 

 

Ref:

Burke’s Encyclopædia of heraldry

The history and topographical survey of the county of Kent

Debrett's Peerage of England

 

 

 

 

 

Tracy-Hanbury (Baron Sudeley)

toddington.jpg

Toddington, The Seat of the Lord Tracy

 

Hales Abbey.JPG

Hales Abbey the Seat of the Lord Tracy

 

engravings by Johannes Kip included in Atkyns, Sir R. (1712) The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire.

 

 

 

Oliver Tracey (Traci) 1167 January 1-1233 December 31

Places :   Property in Milford, Wiltshire

Seal Design:           Design: lion walking to right with a ?bird above, Size: c 60 mm, Shape: ?round, Colour: uncoloured, varnished, Legend: if any lost, Personal

Material:                Wax On tag

Seal Note:              No name on seal. Seal two of two. Late 12th century x early 13th century. Impression: fair. Condition: damage to design.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details/AddtoBasket?iaid=D8182721

Oliver Tracey (Traci), counterseal 1167 January 1-1233 December 31

Places :   Property in Milford, Wiltshire

Seal Design:           Design: (?animal walking to right), Size: 18 mm, Shape: round, Colour: uncoloured, varnished, Legend: if any lost, Personal

Material:                Wax On tag

Seal Note:              No name on seal. Seal one of two. Late 12th century x early 13th century. Impression: faint. Condition: damage to design.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details/AddtoBasket?iaid=D8182722

 

 

 

 

SEAL MATRIX – found East Hertfordshire

A personal seal matrix of probable late 12th to 13th century date (see P. Harvey and A. McGuinness, 1996, pp. 79). The object takes the form of a flat circular disc with a damaged loop attachment at the top. The printing face has the recessed central image of a cross with curved ends and, at the centre, a smaller cross set at forty five degrees to the main one. No line border separates the image from the legend which, when printed, reads: +SIGIL'.PETRI.TRA[CA] (Seal of Peter Traca). The last two letters are very unclear. The surname may be Traci (modern Tracy, from one of several villages in France) or Trace (modern Tracer, meaning one who makes tracings or drawings for stone-masons). The reverse of the matrix is flat and plain. The seal is slightly corroded around the edges. It measures 34.14mm in diameter, 5.87mm thick and weighs 30.8g.

Recorded by: Mr Julian Watters, East Hertfordshire. Found: “St. Margarets”

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/207400#1

 

 

Med seal matrix Hertford 1786.jpg

 

 

 

 

Cornwall, Ancient Seals of the Families of Cardinan, Dynham, and Arundell.

 

Seal appendant to a grant, without date [1265?], from Isolda de Cardinan to Henry de Campo Arnulphi (Champernowne), of her manors of Tywardreth and Ludwon. On the seal is a coat of arms, Three Bendlets, with this inscription, "S Isoute de Cardinan." It is probable that the coat of arms on this seal was that of Tracy, the husband of isolda de Cardinan, one of the coats commonly ascribed to the family of Tracy being Two Bendlets.

 

Ref: Lysons, Samuel (1814) Magna Britannia:... Volume 3

 

 

Tracy of Newington, Kent

1270’s Onwards – Newington, Kent, England

TRACIES is an estate in this parish, situated almost adjoining to the south-west corner of the church-yard. It was formerly accounted a manor, though it has had for many years only the reputation left of having been one.

It was in very early times in the possession of owners of the name of Tracy, who settled their name on it; but whether they were of any, or what kindred to the family of Tracy, seated in Devonshire and Gloucestershire. I cannot find, though the coat of arms borne by these of Newington had a near affinity to those borne by the Tracys, of Gloucestershire. For Philipott says, that the Tracys of Newington bore for their arms, Argent, two bends, between nine escallops, gules, which has certainly an allusion to those borne by the Tracys, of Gloucestershire, viz. Or, two bars, gules, in the chief point an escallop, sable; the difference of the colours and the number of escallops being only a distinction. for this perhaps younger branch of the family. The above mentioned arms of Tracy were originally those of the elder branch of it, barons of Sudeley, who bore, Or, two bends, gules, to which William, the younger brother of Ralph, lord Sudeley, surnamed Tracy, as above-mentioned, added the escallop, as a distinction.

John de Tracy was possessed of Tracies, in Newington, in the reigns of king Henry III and king Edward I. and in the 26th year of the latter, Margery, late wife of John de Tracy, recovered against Sir John de Northwood, the elder, certain lands and rents in this parish, among which these of Tracys were in all likelihood included, to which he had made claim.

In the 28th year of Edward III. Thomas, son of James Tracy, died possessed of this manor, with its appurtenances, in Newington, by the service of finding together with the manor of Lucy, one man and one horse, with a sack and a pack, viz. each by the moiety of the said service, for the carrying of the king's kitchen utensils, (squillariam regis; which I take to mean the furniture of the king's scullery,) as far as Wales, for his war there, as often as it should happen. Soon after which it seems this family became extinct here, though it seems to have remained elsewhere in this county, for the name of Tress, of Tresse, still remaining in it, is, with great probability supposed to be a corruption by length of time from that of Tracy. If so, it is not unlikely but that the Tresses, settled for many years at Town Malling and Ofham, might be a branch of the Tracys, of Tracies, in Newington, before-mentioned; and the same coat of arms having been confirmed by Sir William Segar, garter, to Mr. Francis Tresse, gent. of Town-Malling, seems in some measure a confirmation of it.

This manor after this came into the possession of the family of Savage, for it appears by the escheat-rolls, that Sir Arnold Savage, of Bobbing, in this county, died possessed of it in the 49th year of Edward III. holding it by the like service.

From this time it had the like owners as the manor of Bobbing, till it came into the possession of Lewis Clifford, esq. sheriff anno 13 Henry VII. (fn. 7) who passed away this manor by sale, in the beginning of king Henry VIII.'s reign, to Thomas Lynacre, physician to that prince, as mentioned before, who died possessed of it in 1524, and by will devised it, with Frognall, in this parish, an estate which he likewise purchased about the same time, to trustees, towards the founding and endowing of physical lectures in the two universities of Oxford and Cambridge, as has already been more fully mentioned before. Those in the former were after some years limited to Merton college, and both these estates of Tracys and Frognals, are now vested in the wardens and fellows of Merton college, for the above trust. Robert Spearman, esq. of this parish, is the present lessee of these estates.

From: 'Parishes: Newington', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 6 (1798), pp. 40-67. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62946  Date accessed: 02 October 2013.

[1276] See De Bano, Hilary, 5 Edward I., m.23

Grant in frank almoin by Matilda de Lucy, late the wife of Richard de Ripariis, to Richard, the prior, and the canons of Holy Trinity, London, of 10s. yearly rent out of the portion of rent belonging to her in Niweton, which she has paid them hitherto according to the old grant of Sir Richard de Lucy her grandfather. Witnesses: Sir Martin, rector of Meresey church, Sir Philip, recotor of Bobingewrd, Thomas de Ryseburgh, clerk, and others (named) Endorsed: "Niweton, et memorand, quod dominus Arnaldus Saunge tenet man' de Trasi" Annexed: Extract from de Banco Roll. John de Tracy and Marjery his wife are summoned to answer the prior of Holy Trinity, London, concerning 110s. arrears of a yearly rent of 10s. they owe him. The prior gives half a marc for licence to agree, whereupon John and Marjery acknowledge they owe the prior the said 10s. rent to be paid yearly in their manor of Neunton, and the prior remits the damages except 5 marcs. Kentl

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4941080

[Roughly datable by the death of the petitioner's father in 9 Edward III (25 January 1335-24 January 1336), although the petition would seem most likely to date from a few years later. The inquisition held on Geoffrey de Lucy, who died on 18 May, 20 Edward III (1346), states that he held half the manor of Newington, and that James son of Thomas Tracy holds the other half (CIPM vol. VIII no.649).]

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details/AddtoBasket?iaid=C9516907

 

 

 

ledbury.jpg

Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels, Ledbury

 

Tracy of Worcestershire

 

1308-1314 A Banerez de Engletere - Les Nons E Les Armes

Wircestreschire

Sire William de Tracy, de or, a ij bendes de goules, en le cauntel un escalop de sable.

A Roll of Arms, of the Reign of Edward the Second by Sir Nicholas Harris Nicolas. 1829.

 

The earliest heraldic document in which the families of Worcestershire are specially noticed, is a Roll of the Arms of the Peers and Baronets of England, compiled between the years 1308 and 1314. In this roll the arms of the several knights are given under their respective counties. It was published by the late eminent antiquary, Sir N. H. Nicolas, in 1829. The then Worcestershire knights were Sir William de Suleye, Sir William de Tracy, Sir John Giffard, Sir John Byset, Sir Thomas de Bermyngham, Sir William Dabetoot, Sir John de Assheborne, Sir John de Vaus, Sir Alexander de Frevylle, Sir Baldwin de Frevylle, and Sir Bartholomew de Suleye.

 

Tracy ; as borne temp. Edward II. by Sir William de Tracy, of Worcestershire. — Or, two bends gules, between them, in the dexter chief, an escallop sable. (Nicolas Roll.)

 

The chief seat of this family was at Todington, co. Gloucester, where they were resident temp. Henry II. They were paternally descended from William, second son of John de Sudeley, by Grace, daughter of Henry de Tracy ; which William assumed his mother's surname of Tracy, and his posterity bore the Sudeley arms, differenced with an escallop, as above. The Tracy arms were quartered by Folliott, of Pirton, in right of the marriage of Francis Folliott with Alice, only daughter and heiress of Thomas Tracy, of North Piddle. (Hart. MS., 1566; Rudder's Gloucestershire, p. 770; Lodge's Irish Peerage, iii., 21 ; and Nash, ii, 188.)

The heraldry of Worcestershire...by H. Sydney Grazebrook. 1873

 

Ledbury, [Herefordshire] the Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels...in N.E. window, three shields, (a) a chained swan on a field parted sable and gules, (b) France and England quarterly with a label argent, (c) Tracy, late 15th or early 16th-century.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.

 

[circa 1680s] Thomas, the eldest son [of Richard Cocks] seceded to the estate at Castleditch on the death of his father; married Ann, daughter of Ambrose Elton, of Ledbury, in the county of Hereford, Esq. and had issue three daughters, Dorothy, married to Robert, Viscount Tracy, of the kingdom of Ireland; Judith, wife to - Tracy; and Elizabeth.

Collins's Peerage of England, 1812.

 

Tracy, Sir William, (co. Worcr.)—bore, at the first Dunstable tournament 1308, or, two bends and an escallop gules (F.); Ashmole and Parly. Rolls. Sir John, knighted at the capitulation of Calais 1348, differenced with a label (5) azure. F.

Tracy, William—(H. 111. Roll) bore, or, two bends between nine or ten escallops gules (F.) ; Arden and St. George Rolls.

Oxon, Joseph Foster Hon. Ma. Some Feudal Coats of Arms. 1902

 

mons rauf tracy glos

1 O G 2 bends

Ralph Tracy, not identified, but related to William, fl.1327, sheriff of Worcs. 1318-21, MP for Glos. 1312 and 1322, who held Doynton Glos.) & in Worcs. They were probably also related to John of Todynton (Glos.), sheriff of Glos. 1371.

Brault RAE 2:419; CPR 1371:102 a.o., CIPM 12:166p146 (John); DBA 1:89 + 2:108+111-112 (with escallops);

R:16*; PO:574* (John); N:868*; 4; L:225*; F:361* (c3); E:456* (Wm); ARS:35

William Jenyns’ Ordinary. An ordinary of arms collated during the reign of Edward III

 

 

 

 

 

 

srvr.jpg

 

 

Roll of arms (Powell's Roll). c. 1345-1351
Description: Twenty-four shields with names written above each, in later hands.Page 48 has: 520. s’ Jh’n de goloffre. 521. s’ th’m gray, de Cauntebryggeschyre. 522. s’ Jon Deyncourt. 523. s’ Jh’on de burtone. 524. s’ Roger berkerolus. 525. s’ laurence mounffort.526. s’ Hugh morysby. 527. s’ Rob’ Vepount. 528. [Blank] corbett [in a later hand].529. s’ Jon tracy. 530. s’ Rauff Crummewell. 531. s’ gilberd Schotussbrok. Page 49 has:532. s’ William Cauntelo. 533. s’ Water Haket. 534. s’ th’m *a …tr’ [this struck out with the pen; above is written, in modern hand, 'Wauton'].535. s’ Rich’ basset. 536. s’ Rob’ tylliol. 537. s’ Hug’ fys hotus, Ebor. [bottom left corner]

http://bodley30.bodley.ox.ac.uk:8180/luna/servlet/detail/ODLodl~1~1~31419~108865

 

 

 

 

Tracy of Stanway, Gloucestershire

 

Arms - Or, two bends, gules, in the chief point an Escallop, sable.

 

Ref: Burke, John (1841) A genealogical and heraldic history of the extinct and dormant of England.

 

stanway.jpg

Stanway the Seat of John Tracey Esq.

engraving by Johannes Kip included in Atkyns, Sir R. (1712) The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire.

 

 

 

 

Sir John Tracy of Stanhoe, Norfolk

 

Stanhoe Church - Slab in the Nave.

II. Between two bendlets an escallop in the dexter chief point (Tracy, Or, between two bendlets gules, an escallop in the dexter chief point sable.)

There is no inscription, but I was informed by the Rector that the Right Honble Sir John Tracy and Lady Tracy his wife were both buried in this church about 1664 or 1665.

Farrer, Edmund. The Church Heraldry of Norfolk. Vol. 2. 1889.

 

26 May 1664 Will of Sir John Tracy of Stanhoe, Norfolk PROB 11/314/148

1673 9 Oct. (1671) Robert Tracy of Stanlow, Norfolk, esq. PROB 4/1574

 

25 September, 1661 Articles of Agreement (with counterpart)  F76/II/38

(1) John Eure of Gatley Park, Aymestrey, co., Herefs., son and heir of Sampson Eure, dec.

(2) Sir John Tracy of Stanhowe co., Norfolk, Kn., and Susan Tracy, one of his daughters.

1. Marriage to take place between John Eure and Susan Tracy.

2. £1000 marriage portion to be paid by Tracy to Eure.

3. Eure to make settlement of landsin Aymestrey Leinthall Starkes, Wiggmore, Burington, Elton and Aston co., Herefs., and in Holton, co., Salop.

4. Eure also to purchase lands to value of £500 and to settle same on Susan to augment her jointure.

 

 

 

stanhoe.jpgstanhoe2.jpg

 

All Saints' church, Stanhoe: grave slab belonging to the Tracy family, possibly Sir John Tracy (1617-1654 or 1664) or Thomas Tracy (b. 1610).

 

 

 

Trade Token of the Seventeenth Century [1667?]

340.   0.      STEPHEN . TRACEY = A lion rampant.

          R.      OF . YARMOVTH = S . A . T.

          The mint-mark, a star, is immediately above the lion's head.

341.   A variety, with mint-mark at tip of lion's tail.

342.   A variety differing in the obverse die, the mint-mark being immediately above the letter e in the word Tracey.

Trade Tokens Issued in the Seventeenth Century in England, Wales, and Ireland

 

The arrangement of the letters TSA (not SAT) on the token is a 17th century convention which gives initials of (surname) (husband) (wife). The T stand for Tracey, the S for Stephen and the A is the initial of his wife.

 

 

The Blois MSS Vol. 1. — Pedigrees of Suffolk Families

Tracy, of Moulton, in Q.s.—A, between two bends G, a lion rampant S.

[Note: see Alumni Cantabrigienses for members of this family]

 

 

 

Norweb Traceys.jpg

Thanks to Adrian Marsden, Norwich Castle Museum

 

 

              

 

Geoffroi De Tressy of Paris

 

 

Curiosités de l’Abbaye Saint-Victor

Tombeaux et Sépultures

Geoffroy de Tressy, évéque de Meaux, mort en 1213

 

Sights of the Abbey Saint-Victor

Tombs and Graves

Geoffrey of Tressy, bishop of Meaux, who died in 1213

 

France: Ecclesiastical Seals. 1 89

Geoffroi De Tressy, circ. A.D. 1207-1213.

18,296*. [A.D. 1208.] Sulph. cast from a somewhat indistinct impression. 2-i- X l^- in. [cxxvii. 211.]

Pointed oval: the Bishop, full-face, seated on a throne, the sides of which terminate in the heads and feet of animals; lifting up the r. h. in benediction, in the 1. a crozier, the curve turned inwards ; feet on a small projecting footboard.

De Gray Birch, W (1898) Catalogue of seals in the Department of Manuscripts in the British Museum. Longman and Co, London

Listen

Read phonetically

 

Dictionary - View detailed dictionary

 

 

Losangé d’argent et de gueules, Armoiries de la maison de Poissy, dont l'évêque Geoffroi faisait partie selon toute apparence; le nom de Tressy, sous lequel on le désigne ordinairement, lui ayant peut-être été donné par suite d'une erreur de copiste, très-commune au moyen-âge, s'il ne lui venait pas d'un fief appartenant à sa famille qui le lui avait imposé, suivant l'usage du temps.

Ce prélat, originaire du Puiset, en Brie, ancien chanoine et trésorier, ne fut pas sacré aussitôt après son élection. S’occupant de sa haute juridiction, Geoffroi passa un traité avec la comtesse Blanche de Champagne, pour la fabrication en commun de leurs monnaies dans les villes de Troyes, Provins et Meaux. Il eut longtemps à soutenir ses droits épiscDpaux contre plusieurs communautés; enfin, cet excellent pontife renonça à ses honneurs et dignités pour se retirer à l'abbaye de Saint-Victor de Paris, où il vécut en véritable et saint anachorète jusqu'en 1214. Pendant un carême et un avent entiers, il se priva de boire et ne mangea que trois fois par semaine (1).

Imitant la réserve des auteurs du Gallia Christiana (2), nous nous serions contenté de répéter, avec eux, que, sur le tableau des anniversaires de Saint-Victor (3), cet évéque était appelé Geoffroi de Poissy (Gaufridus de Pissiaeo), aussi bien que dans différecies chartes reproduites par Gaignières, si une preuve matérielle que ce nom était bien le sien ou du moins celui de sa maison n'était pas fournie par l'évoque Geoffroi lui-même, auquel on voudra bien s'en rapporter, sans doute, pour trancher la question. En effet, sur son contre-sceau (4) représentant une fleur de lys, accompagnée en chef à dextre, d'un n et, à sénestre, d'un A, il est très-facile de lire + SECR' G AVER' DE PISSI (Secretum Gaufridi de Pissiaeo). Or, pour l'évêque de Meaux comme pour les autres membres de la famille de Poissy, dont on conserve également plusieurs sceaux (5) du XIII* siècle, chargés d'inscriptions, le mot Pissi indique évidemment Poissy (Pissiacum); donc, notre prélat était bien un Poissy, quand meme il aurait été connu sous le surnom de Tressy.

Disons, en passant, que trois sceaux des seigneurs de Poissy présentent un écusson losangé.

Quant au contre-sceau rond, vraiment très-important en raison du nom qui s'y trouve gravé, il est placé derrière un sceau ogival de 55 millimètres, offrant l'image d'un évêque mitre et crosse, assis sur un siège dont la forme rappelle celle du trône du roi Dagobert: + S. GAVFRIDI MELDENSIS EPIS, et ledit sceau est appendu à une charte souscrite au profit de l'abbaye de Saint-Germain-des-Prés, au mois de novembre 1209.

Un autre sceau du même évêque est appendu à une pièce originale de Gaufredus, Dei patitncia Meldensis electus (6), en faveur du prieuré de Saint-Martiu-des-Champs; 1208. Sur ce sceau ogival, de 50 millimètres, est représenté un personnage debout, vu de face, à mi-jambes, la tête nue, et tenant des deux mains un livre sur sa poitrine : + SIGILL' GAVFRIDI MELDENSIS ELECTI.

 

(1) Lebeuf, Diocèse de Paris, t. Il, page 544.

(2) QalHaChristiana, Ecdesia Meldensis, t. VIII, p. 1620.

(3) Sie : Il nouas Februarii amwersariumsolemne venerabilis memorve magistri Gaufridi êe Pissiaeo quondam Meldensis episeopi, qui de episcopmtu suo ad nos veniens, et sodetatU nostra frater effectue, pri-vatam pênes nos ducere vitam elegit.

(4, 5 et 6) Archives de l'Empire, 1.764 ; t. 2350, s. 3433.

 

Ref: Notice héraldique, sigillographique et mumismatique sur les évêques de Meaux, par le comte A. de Longpérier-Grimoard,... -A. Le Blondel (Meaux)-1876 p.33-34

Diamond-shaped silver and reds, Coat of Arms of the House of Poissy, which the Bishop Geoffrey part apparently; Tressy the name under which it is commonly called, he had perhaps been given following a clerical error, very common in middle age, if he does not come from a fief belonging to his family that he had imposed following the use of time.

This prelate, born in Puiset, Brie, former canon and treasurer, was not sacred immediately after his election. Involved in the high court, Geoffrey passed a treaty with the White Countess of Champagne, for the joint manufacture of their currencies in the cities of Troyes, Provins and Meaux. It took a long time to maintain his rights against épiscDpaux several communities and finally, this excellent pontiff gave his honors and dignities and retired to the abbey of St. Victor in Paris, where he lived as a true and holy hermit until 1214. During Lent and Advent whole, he deprived himself of drink and ate only three times a week (1).

Imitating the authors reserve the Gallia Christiana (2), we would simply repeat with them, that on the board of the anniversaries of St. Victor (3), the bishop was called Geoffrey of Poissy (Gaufridus of Pissiaeo) as well as in différecies charters reproduced Gaignières if real evidence that this was really his name or at least that of his house was not furnished by the bishop Geoffrey himself, which we may wish to rely without doubt, to decide the issue. Indeed, on his seal-cons (4) representing a lily, in chief dexter, a n and on the sinister, an A, it's very easy to read SECR 'AVER G' DE SHIP (Secretum Gaufridi of Pissiaeo). However, for the bishop of Meaux as for other family members of Poissy, which are also several seals (5) of the thirteenth century, responsible for registration, the word clearly indicates Pissi Poissy (Pissiacum); therefore, our prelate was indeed a Poissy, even when it was known by his nickname Tressy.

Let us say in passing that three seals of the lords of Poissy have a diamond-shaped patch.

As for the cons-round seal, really very important because of the name engraved in it, there is a seal behind ogival 55 millimeters, offering an image of a bishop miter and staff, on a seat which shaped like the throne of King Dagobert S. GAVFRIDI MELDENSIS EPIS, and said seal is hung on a charter subscribed for the benefit of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Pres, in November 1209.

Another seal of the bishop is hung on an original play Gaufredus Dei patitncia Meldensis electus (6), in favor of the priory of St. Martin-des-Champs, 1208. On this seal Gothic, 50 mm, shows a standing figure, front view, mid-legs, his head bare, and holding with both hands a book on his chest: SIGILL 'GAVFRIDI MELDENSIS ELECTA.

 

(1) Leboeuf, Diocese of Paris, t. There on page 544.

(2) QalHaChristiana, ecclesia Meldensis, t. VIII P. , 1620.

(3) Sie: It Nouas Februarii amwersariumsolemne Venerabile memorve quondam magistri Gaufridi ee Pissiaeo Meldensis episeopi, whom episcopmtu suo veniens Our ad and performs sodetatU Nostra frater, primary bolts vatam ducere vitam Our elegant.

(4, 5 and 6) Archives of Empire, 1764; t. 2350, c. 3433.

 

 

 

 

1408

Lettres par lesquelles Charles VI érige en Comté-Pairie, sous une meme foi & homage, le Comté de Mortain don’t il avait fait don à son cousin Pierre de Navarre, avec la Terre de Condé-fur-Noireau, qui avoit été unie à ce Comté,  la Baronnie de Trassy & de Vassy près Mortain, & la Terre de Montesquieu dans la Sénéchauffée de Toulouse. T. IX. P. 423

A Chartres, en Mars 1408

 

1408
Letters by which Charles VI criminalizes County-Peerage, even under a faith & homage, the county of Mortain he donated to his cousin Pierre de Navarre, with territory of Noireau Condé, who had been united to that county, Barony of Trassy & Vassy near Mortain [
Calvados Normandy] & the Territory of Montesquieu in Sénéchauffée of Toulouse. T. IX. P. 423
At Chartres, in March 1408

 

 

 

 

Du Tressay of Brittany   

There are references to the family of Du Tressay in Plaudren dating from 1427.

 

Ancienne Noblesse de Plaudren                                     

Le Resto, vers l'ouest, aux Tressay.                                   

Trédéec, vers le sud, aux Tressay en 1597.                                       

Tressay, au nord-ouest, berceau de la famille de ce nom, passée ensuite à d'autres propriétaires.                        

A la réformation de 1427, on comptabilise la présence de plusieurs nobles de Plaudren:...Selvestre du Tressay (Trédiec)... Jehan de Pose et Ollivier du Tressay (Kergurion)...        

A la "montre" (réunion de tous les hommes d'armes) de Vannes du 8 septembre 1464, on comptabilise la présence de 17 nobles de Plaudren:          

Jan du Tressay (400 livres de revenu) : porteur d'une brigandine et d'une salade (casque), comparaît armé d'une épée et d'une vouge ;      

Allain du Tressay (20 livres de revenu) : porteur d'un paltoc et d'une salade (casque), comparaît armé d'une épée ;                               

A la "montre" (réunion de tous les hommes d'armes) de Vannes du 21 avril 1481, on comptabilise la présence de 22 nobles de Plaudren :         

Jehan du Tressay (60 livres de revenu): porteur d'une brigandine, comparaît en archer;         

Allain du Tressay  (10 livres de revenu) ;                                         

http://www.infobretagne.com/plaudren.htm

 

Manoir de Tredec                                             

En 1427, lors de la réformation du domaine, Trédec appartient à Sylvestre du Tressay, époux de Jeanne Du Helen, fille du seigneur de Bodalic. Jean Du Tressay est mentionné  en 1448 et 1477. Cette famille jouit de Trédec jusqu'au milieu du XVIIe siècle.

 

57. Du Tressay, Srs du Resto, de Tredazet, Par. de Saint Aubin, Ev. et Rr. de Nantes, porte d'argent à la Fasce noüée de gueles, chargée de trois Bezans d'or. Ar. du 7. Fevrier 1671.

MEMOIRES SUR L'ETAT DE LA NOBLESSE DE BRETAGNE.

DERNIERE PARTIE.

CONTENANT UN RECUEIL

Alphabetique des Noms et des Armes de plusieurs Gentils-hommes, suivant les Arrests de la Chambre Roïale établie par le Roi à Rennes, l'an 1668. pour la Reformation de la Noblesse. A Paris, M. DC. LXXXXI. [1691] Avec Approbation et Privilege du Roi.

 

Tressay (De).-de Tredoïs.-du Resto.-de Tredazet.-de la Sicaudais [near Nantes]. 

D'argent, à la fasce nouée de gueules, chargée de trois besans d'or.

Armorial général de Bretagne, relevé des diverses réformations de la Noblesse de cette Province depuis 1400 jusqu'a 1668...

By Louis Marie Désiré BRIANT DE LAUBRIÈRE (1844)

 

Tressay (De), Sr dudit lieu, - du Rest, - de Trédazee, - de la Sicaudais

Anc ext R. 1671. 8 générations. Par. De Saint-Aubin, évéché de Nantes. R. 1448. 1536. Par. de Plaudren, évéché de Vannes.

D’argent á la fasce nouée de gueules, charge de trios besants d’or.

Nobiliaire de Bretagne ou tableau de l'Aristocratie Bretonne depuis l ...

By Pol Louis Potier de Courcy (1846)

 

 

 

 

 

Old Nobility of Plaudren
Le Resto, westward to Tressay.
Trédéec, southward to Tressay in 1597.
Tressay, northwest, home of the family of that name, then passed to other owners.
A reformation of 1427, we count the presence of several noble Plaudren ... Selvestre of Tressay (Trédiec) ... Jehan Laying Ollivier and the Tressay (Kergurion) ...
At the "shows" (meeting of all men of arms) Valves 8 September 1464, it recognizes the presence of 17 nobles of Plaudren:
Jan du Tressay (400 pounds of income): carrying a brigandine and a salad (helmet), appear armed with a sword and a vouge;
Allain of Tressay (20 pounds of income): carrying a paltoc and a salad (helmet), appear armed with a sword;
At the "shows" (meeting of all men of arms) Vannes on 21 April 1481, it recognizes the presence of 22 nobles of Plaudren:
Jehan du Tressay (60 pounds of income): carrying a brigandine, appears archer;
Allain Tressay of 10 pounds (income);
http://www.infobretagne.com/plaudren.htm



 

Manor Tredec
In 1427, during the reformation of the area, Trédec belongs to Sylvestre du Tressay, husband of Jeanne du Helen, daughter of the lord of Bodalic. Jean Du Tressay is mentioned in 1448 and 1477. The family enjoys Trédec until the mid-seventeenth century.

 

57. Du Tressay, Sirs of Resto, of Tredazet, Para. St. Aubin, Ev. Rr and Nantes, silver with a red band  knot, with three gold coins [Bezant: gold coin]. Ar 7. February 1671.

MEMOIRS ON THE STATE THE NOBILITY OF BRITTANY.

LAST PART.

CONTAINING A COLLECTION

Alphabetical of the Names and Arms of several Gentlemen, according to Arrests House regal established by the King in Rennes, in the year 1668 for the Reformation of the nobility. Paris, 1691.

 

 

Tressay (De) .- of Tredoïs, of Resto, of Tredazet. Of the Sicaudais [near Nantes].
Argent, a fess Gules knotted, charged with three gold besans.
Armorial General of Brittany, raised various reformations of the nobility of this province since 1400 until 1668 ...
By Louis Marie Désiré BRIANT LAUBRIERE DE (1844)

 

Tressay (De), Sr. of the said place, - Rest, - Trédazee, - La Sicaudais
Anc ext R. 1671. 8 generations. Parish of Saint-Aubin, Bishop of Nantes. R. 1448. 1536. Parish of Plaudren, bishop of Vannes.
Argent to the fess tied Gules, load of trios coins of gold.
Nobiliary of Brittany or painting of the Breton Aristocracy since the ...
By Pol Louis Potier de Courcy (1846)

1696 Pierre du Tressai of Tredéc

f867.highres.jpg

VOLUMES RELIES du Cabinet des titres : recherches de noblesse, armoriaux, preuves, histoires généalogiques. Armorial général de France, dressé, en vertu de l'édit de 1696, par Charles D'HOZIER. (1697-1709). VIII Bretagne, I.

Manoir de Tredec

Manoir de Tredec.jpg

 

 

 

 

pierre.jpg

Pierre Trasse Econome de l'Eveche de Troyes

 

Officialite Episcopale de Troyes

...Anne Basin, Pierre Trasse, appariteurs (1683)...

10 December 1696 - 19 December 1698...Pierre Trasse, econome-sequestre du diocese

21 November 1700 - 21 June 1704 ...consentement de M Pierre Trasse, econome-sequestre du diocese...

...Nicolas Trasse, cure de Romilly-sur-Seine 1730 (au subject de la publication d'un monitoire...[Note] ...avec son frere, Louis, ne a Troyes, le 28 Janier 1699 (Biographie de Troyes et la Department de l'Aube, page 411)

Inventaire sommaire des Archives départementales antérieures à 1790

 

...Trasse de Montmusard, curé de Romilly-sur-Seine...

Histoire de la ville de Troyes et de la Champagne

 

 

 

Henri Bonneau, sire of Tracy-Bocage or Tracy-sur-mer, Calvados, Normandy member of the family of Beauharnais/Beauharnois

 

Archives De La Manche

Henri Bonneau, seigneur de Tracy, Bures, Cerisy, Tury, Crahan et Villers, pour divers tenements qu'ils possedent en la paroisse de Tracy, sous la seigneurie de Villers et Cerisy. [also references to his brother Claude Bonneau]

 

Detail from the tomb of Henri Bonneau de Trassy (d. 1682) located in the chapel dedicated to Saint-Louis in the cathedral of Notre-Dame in Tournai. This military man enjoyed a long career and was named governor of Tournai in the year of his death. The tomb was erected by his brother.

 

127. Au milieu de la chapelle saint Louis, est cette inscription:

D. 0. M.

Dans cette cave repose le corps de Messire Henry Bonneau chevalier seigneur de Trassy, marechal des camps et armées du Roy, gouverneur de la ville et citadelle de Tournay, décédé le 28 de février 1681.

128. Et contre la muraille, est un monument tres magnifique de marbre avec cette inscription:

Aetemae Memoriae

Nobilis et magnanimi Viri Henrici Bonneau Equitis, Domini de Trassy, [Barbe’, &c.] Annos ille triginta continuos militaribus Officiis indefessus impendit, Dux statim praetoriae Cohortis, deinde exercitus Generalis Instructor, mox ductor Pedestrium turmarum, Postremo regiorum castrorum Praefectus. Omnibus se obsequiis fidum, omnibus se imperils parem ubique praestitit, Imperatoribus, sub quibus militavit fide, labore, ac diligentia, quibus praefuit humanitate, vigilantia ac liberalitate commendatus;

Bergensem praefecturam, postea Tornacensem honorifice exercuit. Summis atque infimis, popularibus atque exteris carus; tandem cum Gallicum in Belgio Inspector inviseret, peditatum laethali febre sato immaturo Fate correptus Valencenis pie ac constanter obit pridie Calend. Martii anno 1682 atatis 48.

Quae supersunt exuvias, morientis jussu, in hanc Aedem translatas omnes Nerviorum Ordines maesti tumulavere. Preces viator animae superstiti impertire

Hoc amantissimo Fratri maestus Frater Claudius Bonneau De Purnon, primus Fratris unici, Regis Dapifer, post vota &c lacrymas Monumentum erexit.

 

Ref:

Mémoires de la Société historique et littéraire de Tournai, Volume 16.

Poutrain, Joseph Alexis (1750) Histoire de la ville & cité de Tournai, Volume 2.

Walker, Dean (1981)  A Fragment of Girardon's Tomb of Henri Bonneau de Trassy. The Burlington Magazine, Vol. 123, No. 934, Special Issue Devoted to Sculpture (Jan.,1981), pp. 30+32-33Pub

 

imageproxy.aspx.jpg

 

imageproxy.jpg

 

crest.jpg

 

imageproxy_003.jpg

 

 

 

Tracy-Bocage, Tracheium, Traceium

Ce qu'il y a de certain, c'est que Thomas Pellevé, dont nous allons parler à l'article d'Amayé, était seigneur de Tracy au XIVe. siècle, et avait hérité de cette terre de son père Pierre Pellevé, mort en 1402.

Jean de Pellevé, son 4e. fils, qui eut la terre de Tracy en partage, servit le roi Charles VII dans les guerres contre les Anglais et fut fait prisonnier; Pierre de Brezé, grand sénéchal de Normandie, qui l'avait pris en affection, prêta une somme considérable pour payer sa rançon. Sa mère et ses sœurs composèrent pour le remboursement avec Jacques de Brezé, son fils, comte de Maulevrier, et lui payèrent 200 écus, par traité fait le 11 mars 1466.

Il eut trois fils et plusieurs filles de sa femme Françoise Dubois de Lépinay-Tesson. Richard de Pellevé, l'aîné, seigneur de Tracy, servit sous les rois Louis XI et Charles VIII et fut lieutenant de l'armée de mer sous le duc d'Albanie; il laissa trois fils: Henri de Pellevé, baron de Flers; Jean de Pellevé, seigneur de Tracy, et Richard de Pellevé, seigneur de Calligny et du Quesnoy. Jean de Pellevé, seigneur de Tracy, capitaine de 300 chevaux légers, se signala dans les guerres contre les protestants: il fut tué au port de Piles. Son frère Richard capitaine d'une compagnie de cavalerie, fut tué à Moncontour en 1569.

La baronnie de Tracy a été possédée depuis par la famille Le Marchand de Feuguerolles: elle a été vendue successivement à M. d'Achey, à M. le baron d'Audrieu et, en 1756, à M. Léonard-Ch. -Alexandre Radulphe, lieutenant-général de police , qui l'avait lui-même revendue plusieurs années avant la révolution.

Statistique monumentale du Calvados, Volume 2

VII Pierre de Pellevé, baron de Tracy [circa 1631]

Histoire de la Maison Royale de France, et des grands officiers de la Couronne

 

 

In 1665, Alexandre de Prouville de Tracy (1596/1601-1670), seigneur of Tracy-le-Val and Tracy-le-Mont (Picardy), was part of the expedition to New France (Canada).

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=534&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=1uh41v2msq1s5f7jhb1ru2g3b3

Marquis de tracy 1665

Alexandre de Prouville, Marquis de Tracy: c040695k

pp 013 Tracy - gare du palais IMG_7283d.JPG

Armoiries de Prouville de Tracy

Gare du Palais à Québec

 

 

 

French Destutt_Tracy crest

 

Marquis de Tracy, Chateau de Tracy, Tracy-sur-Loire

 

Antonin-Louis-Claude Destutt de Tracy (1754-1836).  Name and arms assumed by grandson Jacques de Staal de Magnoncour, decree 14 June 1861; title of marquis confirmed for same 25 Feb 1872 écartelé, au 1 et 4 palé de sable et d’or de six pièces, au 2 et 3 d’or au coeur de gueules. Destutt de Tracy (June 4, 1814; C, Aug 31 1817; LP 3 Aug 1824) Ext. 1850.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

smomgm15_2.jpg

smomgm15_1.jpg

Bertrand de Thessy

 

The Fifteenth Grandmaster of The Sovereign Military and Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta

 

The Masters of the Hospital in Palestine and Cyprus

Fr. Bertrand de Thessy 1228-30 [previously Castellan of Selefkeh]

King, Edwin James (1894) The rule statutes and customs of the Hospitallers, 1099-1310

 

 

 

 

mhtml:file://C:\Users\Dec\Traceyclann\Traceyclann%20Old%20Rough\In%20process\Welcome%20to%20the%20Royal%20Hashemite%20Sultanate%20of%20Sulu%20&%20Sabah%20Official%20Website.mht!http://www.royalsulu.com/images/RK_100Datuk(Sir)IanETreacy.gif

The Honorable Datuk

(Sir) Ian Eric Treacy, DRK, KRSS
Katurunan Datuk/ Hereditary Knight (Baronet)
Sydney, Australia

Royal Hashemite Sultanate Of Sulu
Royal Hashemite Sultanate Of Sabah
(Sultanate of Sulu & North Borneo/Sabah)

 

 

 

 

stemma BAFFA TRASCI.jpg

 

The BAFFA TRASCI coat of arm is the attached: on the left is light blue with a green fava bean (BAFFA) and on the right is, light blue ground, with the green cocktrice, crowned, upon a silver plough (TRASCI).

 

 

Trasci family of Italy

 

A branch of the Tracy family is BAFFA TRASCI AMALFITANI  also descendent from the English de Tracy. This Italian branch of the family descent from one of the sons of the Baron of Barnstaple who in 1204 moved to Constantinople to fight in the 4th crusade. There he became orthodox and took the name of SPERADIONE (in Honor of Saint Speradione). His grand-nephew was the hero GIORGIO de Trasci who fought against the Turkish army in 1535 and for his braveness was created “Chevalier” by Emperor Charles V who took all his family and relatives in Naples, Italy. His grand daughter Teodolinda de Trasci (14 /5/1555 - 25/12/1593) was the last of the de Trasci family and so as not to lose the surname she got the right from the king of Naples to add to her husband’s surname her own one. She got married in 1571 to STEFANO BAFFA, descendent from an Albanian family who came in Italy in 1471 and so the family became BAFFA TRASCI. To give her family’s surname to her siblings she had to prove the historical importance of it, and she proved that her line was descendent from the line of baron of Barnstaple.  In 1799 princess Teodolinda grand-grand-grand-grand-grand son GABRIELE BAFFA TRASCI (1770 - 1816) married lady Maria Saveria Amalfitani, daughter of the 7° Marques of Crucoli and added his wife’s surname. Today this line of the Tracy family, living in Naples, is included into the 5th part of “Annuario della Nobiltà Italiana”, a Peerage of the Italian aristocracy. The coat of arm used since XIII century was different from the original branch; the coat of arm of the TRASCI was green with a cockatrice upon a silver plough.

 

NOTE: Early references to the Norman/English Tracy family often use the spelling Trasci.

 

Ref:

http://www.nobili-napoletani.it/Baffa-Trasci.htm

 

 

 

 

London Shop-Signs.

Sun & Hour-Glass. John Tracy, bookseller, who also sold the Original Balsam of Chili, on London Bridge.

(Mist's Weekly Journal, 11 Nov., 1727)

 

Thos. Passinger (or Passenger), at the Three Bibles, about the middle of London Bridge, 1668-1687, succeeded by Eben. Tracey, whom we find there [1694]1696-1712; H. Tracey, 1719-1722; and H. and J. Tracey in 1724. This is, no doubt, a revival of Tyus's sign of the Three Bibles.

 

There were two bookshops on London Bridge displaying the sign of the Three Bibles. The Tracys' was at the south end of the bridge "next the Gate" formerly occupied by N. Gamage, C. Tyersand T. Passinger. The other shop was in the centre of the bridge " at the corner of the Square " occupied (c 1690—c. 1740) by John Stuart.

 

Ref:

London Booksellers

 

 

Three Bibles1.jpg

 

 

 

Last update: 23 August 2017